[MCR] East Ridge of Temple, Mt. Stanley NF, Aug. 9-10th

Subject: [MCR] East Ridge of Temple, Mt. Stanley NF, Aug. 9-10th
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 08:56:56 -0600
Mt. Temple:

I climbed the East Ridge yesterday with three friends in order to comply with the group size restrictions for bears. The route is in good shape, being dry most of the way with only a few patches of snow to cross on the traverse to the black towers.  There is a small patch of snow left in the black towers, but it wasn't causing much rockfall yesterday.  We were able to fill our bottles at the base of the black towers.

We found most of the bolted stations en route, which were much appreciated and well placed.  The upper ridge was a mix of snow/ ice with some crevasses and cornice cleaves visible.  We made a hasty retreat from the summit due to afternoon buildup and dark thunder clouds.

Mt. Stanley:

Made an attempt on the NF with Dean Flick on Aug. 9th, but turned around above the schrund due to warm temperatures and rock fall.  Lower glacier tongues are both bare ice with lots of embedded rocks melting out on warmer days.  The bench below the NF is well settled snow.  I've attached a picture of the NF.  We were able to cross the schrund fairly easily on the climbers left side.

Ian Jackson, Dean Flick & Patrick Lindsay

ACMG Aspiring Guides of various certifications.