[MCR] Bow hut area, Rockies, Sept 20-24

Subject: [MCR] Bow hut area, Rockies, Sept 20-24
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 01:43:06 -0700
Hi all,

We just wrapped up an intro to mountaineering course in the Bow hut area.

Winter has definitely made an appearance over this time period. We experience unsettled weather conditions, below freezing temperatures, moderate snow accumulations and moderate to strong winds.

The snow accumulations ranged from 10cm at the hut to 20cm on the glaciers, much of it melting on solar aspects. Above 2400m, the moderate to strong westerly winds redistributed this snow into wind slabs and pillows up to 40 cm deep on lee slopes while scouring exposed areas. We saw ongoing spin drifts in extreme terrain however no slab avalanches were observed.

Our main concern was the new snow masking open crevasses. This made it increasingly difficult to recognize crevasse edges and definitely slowed down our progress.

Have a great start to the Fall season!

David Lussier
acmg mountain guide
www.summitmountainguides.com