[MCR] Vermillion Peak, Kootenay National Park

Subject: [MCR] Vermillion Peak, Kootenay National Park
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 20:02:08 -0800
Today we skied from 1400m to 2400m in the NW facing burnt forest of Vermillion Peak. We stayed away from the big avalanche path and kept entirely within the trees.

The snowpack is shallow and weak all the way up to 2000m, making for some tough trail breaking through new snow over facets. Lots of breaking through and climbing over deadfall.  Additionally, there are thousands of pine saplings poking through the snowpack that you need to ski through.

The higher elevations had good coverage, but be prepared to pay a price at the low elevations until we get more snow and a stronger base. Not too bad on the way up, but pretty rugged on the way down.

20cm of new snow.  Temps were -2 to -6 and the wind was raging from the south.  Avalanche cycle underway.

Grant Statham
ACMG Mountain Guide
http://www.doteasy.com