[MCR] Whistler and Duffy lake conditions

Subject: [MCR] Whistler and Duffy lake conditions
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:46:09 -0700
A group of Thompson Rivers University students training for their ACMG exams
spent the past week touring in the Whistler/ Blackcomb backcountry as well as
one day up in the Duffy lake region.

Overall the conditions felt quite spring like with temperatures hovering around
0 for most of the week and spiking to 10+ c this past weekend. The snowpack
seemed well below average with generaly around 150 cm’s found at tree-line and
150-250cm’s found on some of the glaciers.  Having said this most of the
“standard" Whistler area ski touring could still be accomplished with some good
route finding. We found that due to the firm condition ski crampons and skinny
skis were very useful.

Our main concerns for the week were open or sagging cravasses (crevasses that
are not fully bridged) on all of the glaciers and the persistent weak layers at
the bottom of the snowpack. To manage the crevasses we found ourselves roped up
on many glaciers that in past years would have been easy walk ups. When we
didn’t have the rope on we found ourselves constantly probing to make sure we
were still traveling in areas that had a consistently deeper snowpack and
avoiding all areas that might hold crevasses, such as convexities. We had good
visibility so we could see the areas of concern, but it would be quite scary to
be on any glaciers right now in a white out.

Generally we felt pretty good about the avalanche conditions, but to manage the
weak layers at the bottom of the snowpack we chose to keep away from steep,
shallow and rocky areas as well as any slope that was heating up with solar
radiation. As the weak got warmer we noticed that more natural avalanches were
occuring on solar aspect, with many of them failing on the bottom of the
snowpack. Several of there avalanches were up to size 2.5.

The conditions up on the Duffy lake were even more difficult than the Whistler
area, this area had much less snow, especially below tree-line and many of the
glaciers were in very difficult conditions. Of note one group skied up the
Joffre lakes trail to ski the benign Tzil glacier. This group found the glacier
in very broken conditions and the chance of a fall in a crevasse would be a
real possibly at the moment. Ski conditions in and out of the areas were also
very difficult. One of the other groups retreated from skiing the Ottoman
Couloir on Cayoosh due to a hard slab at the entrance with a very obvious week
layer of Facets below this. The Cerise creek trail and ski runs in this area
seemed to be the only really skiing of any value or interest.

With the forecasted cooling temperatures and still sunny weather it may be
possible to catch a few well timed (before it gets to warm!) corn runs or maybe
even a few good turns on some north facing sheltered runs too. When we do get
some new snow things could get quite interesting as there are many slippy
surfaces for any snow to bond too.

Have fun out there.

Thompson Rivers University, Canadian Mountain and Ski Guide program students
and instructors