[MCR] Mount Logan, St-Elias Mountains, Yukon

Subject: [MCR] Mount Logan, St-Elias Mountains, Yukon
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:10:31 -0700
Hello ski mountaineers!

I just returned from guiding a successful ascent of Mount Logan via the King Trench (May 26th-June 10th). Despite mixed weather and various snowfalls we managed to climb to the main summit on June 6th.  Being there on the tail end of the season meant that Logan was rather quiet. We saw 2 other people over two weeks, it felt like we had the mountain to ourselves. That being said the spring ski mountaineering season was busy and successful this year with many parties reaching the main summit.

Conditions on the King Trench seemed normal this year. Temperatures hovered in the -5C to -10C during the day but often plummeted down to -30 at night, particularly higher up. The snowpack was well settled and stiff with a few very hard crust layers in the upper 100cm. Over 60cm of new snow fell during our two weeks there, most of which stayed dry and provided good powder skiing conditions above 4000m. This new snow generally bonded well to the previous surface (May 30th interface). We did not see any unusual natural snow avalanches however we saw many ice avalanches from active serac areas.

The snow coverage on the glaciers was greater than 200cm with deeper protected areas measured at well over 300cm. The icefall above King Col (Queen Icefall @ 4200m) was more complex this year, the top crevasses provided only one way through. The crevasse maze leading to the football field (4900m) was best tackled on the climber’s right side near the southern edge of this feature. A few handy wands left in place from previous parties helped us get through this area more efficiently, thanks! The combination of hard upper snowpack, cool temps and new snow help maintain adequate crevasse bridges throughout our trip. All in all we had a great trip. Our small group and experience guests made for a fast trip up and down the mountain.

Of note, we access the mountain from the west (Alaska side). We flew to the Alaska/Yukon border from Chitina by ski plane with pilot Paul Claus of Ultima Thule Outfitters. This access adds an extra 9km to the regular Canadian itinerary but is a good option with a more predictable and timely access. Chitna was actually the starting point for the 1925 King Trench first ascent expedition to Mount Logan by Albert H. MacCarthy and crew. Folks have been climbing Logan with Paul’s assistance from the west for many decades now.

Unlike previous years, it was very difficult this year to get pre-approval to enter into Canada from the US at this uncensored border crossing.  It sounds like Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is tightening the rules around this and it may not be possible to legitimately do this sort of remote crossing at all in the future. This is a bit disconcerting considering the number of other peaks that lie along the Alaska/Yukon & BC border that require similar access (Mount Fairweather, Devils Thumbs, etc.). If you are planning a trip in these areas, I would recommend checking-in with CBSA as soon as you can. I am planning on further investigating this issue for future trips.

Let’s hope this is just a glitch in the system and that the Canadian government will see the value in allowing remote border crossings privileges for the purpose of mountaineering.

Time to put the skis away and go rock climbing, finally! Have a great start to the summer season!

David Lussier
acmg mountain guide
www.summitmountainguides.com