[MCR] Selkirks - Rogers Pass - Asulkan/Loop Brook May 3/2015

Subject: [MCR] Selkirks - Rogers Pass - Asulkan/Loop Brook May 3/2015
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 19:40:32 -0700

Took advantage of last night's clear skies and cold temps (-3.0 at the parking lot this am) to get one last day in the Pass before I head to CAA meetings in Penticton.

Aiming for the Lily Glacier and its great N facing skiing I opted for an approach up the Asulkan and over the Dome col - pretty sure that Loop brook access would require some agile boulder hopping and creek crossings - skis on from the parking lot with the trail following the summer route instead of the lower winter route - still good just requires some sidestepping on the way out ;-) !

Solid Freeze overnight formed a 10 cm supportive crust from valley bottom to 1900m. - breakable above that in the am on all but Northerly aspects (NE-NW)  - 30-40cms powder on N aspects down to 1900m. on the Lily Glacier, with other aspects providing everything from "Amazing Corn" -" Nice Corn" - "hey this is almost Corn!" " Wow I wish this was Corn!" - depending on Timing, Aspect, Elevation!

Overall stability was great allowing me to ski a steep NE facing line off Mt. Swanzy into the Lily Glacier  - sorry it isn't in Douglas excellent Rogers Pass guidebook, so I don't have a reference number ;-) !

There was limited loose snow sluffs on the 40+degree Swanzy line, especially given the  20-30cms ski penetration, as my Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Grandpappy used to say "If the slope is over 40 degrees and the snow is not moving - it is probably not very good skiing ;-)  !" - otherwise the good overnight freeze limited any solar induced wet loose avalanches.

There were no tracks above the Asulkan hut on Youngs peak - looked pretty tempting but my skinny little legs just didn't have it in them today!

With tonight's clear skies and continued cool temps I am sure there will be a good crust recovery overnight - I know I have to sit in a meeting tomorrow, but I am optimistic that this incites someone to get out there and ski all that amazing snow - really 2015 isn't over - okay it is really close ;-) !

Cheers,

Scott Davis

ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide