[MCR] Mt.Clemenceau Conditions

Subject: [MCR] Mt.Clemenceau Conditions
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 13:02:52 -0700
Scott Thumbler and I just returned from a wonderful spring ski touring trip
from May 11th to the 15th into the Mt. Clemenceau region. We flew from Golden
to the Tusk glacier with 4 clients, and set up camp next to Mt. Clemenceau. On
the flight in we did not see any evidence of natural slab avalanches.  Travel
conditions where great with good overnight freezes in the am (with ski
crampons) turning to excellent corn and moist deteriorating crust in the PM on
solar aspects. The snow became moist on all aspects in the PM all the way to
3300m.  Crevasses are well covered in the area still and the route goes through
the middle of the seracs as described in the West face route description in
"The 11,000ers of the Canadian Rockies" guide book, at the moment.

We directly observed rather predictable avalanches running on solar aspects
with the powerful sun effect. Mostly moist point release avalanches to size 2,
however we did witness a size 2.5 serac triggered slab avalanche at 2400m on a
west aspect at 2pm.  The slab failed to the rocks. We also experienced a large
whumpf at the same elevation and aspect,  in a shallow rocky area on facets and
depth hoar. At 3pm two simultaneous size 2 glide cracks also released on the
south aspect of Mt Clemenceau at 2000m.  There was also evidence of what looked
to be a 1 week old natural cycle to size 3.

Mt Clemenceau west flank avalanche.

image/jpg

Note slab to last year's snow pack at ridge line.

image/jpg

Tusk Glacier ski tracks.

image/jpg

clips from Clemenceau: