[MCR] The Watchtower Crag, Jasper National Park

Subject: [MCR] The Watchtower Crag, Jasper National Park
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 17:48:23 -0600 (MDT)
Visitor Safety at Jasper National Park went into The Watchtower Climbing Area which was smack in the middle of the recent Excelsior Creek Fire on the Maligne Lake Road. The extent of the damage to the crag itself is actually pretty minimal. The entire approach, as well as all the trees and vegetation above the climbs has been burned. Amazingly, as you approach the makeshift bridge near the lower tier, the ground and tree vegetation is relatively unaffected albeit there is some new downed trees and small areas where burning ash fell from the canyon above. We climbed routes on the Upper Tier and Kiss the Sky Wall and found all the routes to be in need of a little brushing from the ash and dirt, but otherwise completely unaffected. Voodoo Lounge is almost entirely unaffected. Tightened one nut but just in the normal course of action and seem to have nothing to do with the fire. Did some bolt testing (aka whippers, aka fat kid on steep and overhanging rock) and didn't see any issues with the general condition of the bolts or rock. We couldn't get on all the routes but I would guess that this would be the case for the high majority of bolts.

This area will not be without it's issues and didn't get away completely scar free. Finnito Land got burned right up to the wall and may require a bit more clean-up. All the trees and vegetation above the climbs and on the approach from the lake has been burned and presents a significant hazard for falling trees, rocks and debris. Keep your head up and wear a helmet. The areas most affected are the Upper and Lower Tiers, and the furthest routes on the downstream end of Kiss the Sky Wall and, Finnito land. All other areas are significantly overhanging and are generally well protected from above. The regeneration of this area is a remarkable and incredibly fascinating process and as climbers we need to respect this. There is one trail in and out of the area. It starts right from the outflow of the creek and works its way up the climbers left side (river right) of the creek. A handful of foot-prints and small tree blazes mark the way following generally the exact path of the original trail. Keep the trail braiding to the absolute minimum and consider carrying a brush saw in to help with the smaller burnt dead fall. This is a climbers trail and is not an official trail nor of any priority to Parks Canada trail crews. So if it ends up being a complete mess it's our fault, everyone needs to do your part! Paradise is not lost and the arguably best climbing in the Rockies is still well in tact!

Routes, new route information and pictures can be found on the Jasper Rock Climbing, TABVAR and Parks Mountain Safety Facebook Pages.

Jasper Visitor Safety
Jasper National Park
Parks Canada