[MCR] Ski Touring Kootenay NP, HWY 93 S

Subject: [MCR] Ski Touring Kootenay NP, HWY 93 S
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 00:50:05 -0700

Hi Everyone:

I’ve spent the last two days ski touring in Kootenay Park along HWY 93 South.

On Thursday I went with 3 fellow guides into Ochre Creek (Paint Pots Trailhead) exploring some steeper northern facing terrain up to 2450 meters. There was about  3-10cm of recent new snow  depending on elevation, which made for excellent skiing in a higher elevation alpine bowl. While the recent snow was very fluffy there were lots of signs of previous wind effect and scouring (as usual!). Below about 2000 meters the entire snowpack loses cohesiveness with the ongoing faceting (recrystallization) process, although we had good skiing to valley bottom.

Off note is that the beautiful hanging bridge that used to cross the Vermillion River at the Paint Pot Trailhead is gone! The river can currently be crossed with two steps in shallow water provided you’re courageous enough to walk out on the ice. In spring it will be more of an issue and I’m sure most of the snow shoers that I have taken here in the past wouldn’t have liked it in the current conditions……

Today, Friday I went into the burn north of Marble Canyon and skied a south-easterly avalanche chute back towards the HWY. There were 2-5 cm of recent new snow on a thin sun crust where the slope was oriented more southerly but ok on the more easterly aspect. The larger challenge for the skiing quality was the lack of support due to the faceting of the entire snowpack, especially in spots higher up where the slope got steeper and rockier and the snowpack thinner.

No recent avalanches observed – probably for lack of a slab and potential bed surface, except maybe way up in the alpine given previous wind transport.

Safe travels,

Jorg Wilz

Mountain Guide (ACMG / VDBS / IFMGA)

OnTop ltd.