[MCR] Rockies - Nothing But The Breast

Subject: [MCR] Rockies - Nothing But The Breast
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:00:02 -0600
Hey again,

My guest, Barret and I, put in an ascent of Nothing But The Breast today. Never been up it prior to this, but a good climb in an awesome position. The two approach pitches are still in good shape with enough ice for screws on the short steep steps and v threads on the descent. Snow overlaying the ice on the low angle bits seems to be insulating the ice below and there's been minimal delamination as a result. The upper/last pitch was in good shape, sun affect having punched through about 5 or 10 cms of the surface ice, rotting things a bit, but still good gear throughout. A good WI 4 line weaves up the left side (a bit wet) currently, and a steeper WI4+ line climbs more sustained steeper ice right up the centre. We climbed both, both currently worth heading up for if you're here this week.
No concerns today re: snow overhead. Just a beautiful day climbing in the sun.

The hot-tub at COE has also been in stellar shape... 104*F and holding. Worth a stop in if your up this way.

Have a great evening!

Mike Trehearne
Cloud Nine Guides

Trip Photos @www.facebook.com/cloudnineguides