[MCR] Rockies, Mt Robson South Face attempt

Subject: [MCR] Rockies, Mt Robson South Face attempt
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:29:28 -0600
I guided an attempt on the South Face of Mt Robson Sept 16-19.

We approached the Forster Hut through rains on Sept 16th. We got wet and the
King got a fresh icing of snow above 9,500'.

Sept 17th we rested at the hut and dried out.

Sept 18th we made our attempt. Frozen mud and verglas saw us strapping on
crampons half way up Little Robson. The Schwartz Ledges were verglased but
fast, we ran across them in about 5 minutes with the crampons on. I don't think
that they will be drying to bare rock again this season. We chose higher
Schwartz Ledges, pretty darn close the the serac, and that is the way to go, I
figure.

We turned around in a white out at 3400 metres just were we had to commit to
the glaciated slopes leading to the top. We couldn't see anything and the KIng
kept his head in the cloud for the rest of the day.

Sept 19th we trudged down from the hut to find the grill closed for the day at
the Mt Robson Cafe, 4 pm, bummer, no cheeseburger! The King had his head in the
cloud again.

Happy trails,

Barry Blanchard
Mountain Guide