[MCR] Crowfoot Moraines, Banff Park

Subject: [MCR] Crowfoot Moraines, Banff Park
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 19:12:51 -0700
We experimented with an attempt to ski the moraines to the west of Crowfoot Peak today.  Conditions were favourable at the outset with up to 5 cm of new snow.  Where not wind affected, the average snowpack depth was around 100 cm at treeline.

The moraine descent after the 1st canyon bypass is nearly bare.  The 2nd canyon has some open water but is navigable all the way to its upper end.

Unfortunately the Crowfoot moraines were nearly bare and not skiable, so we turned around at 2400 metres.  The “midpack” supported reasonably well with skis, but boot penetration was 40 cm plus.  We saved the day with some rescue practice instead.

It snowed lightly all day and there was 2-3 cm in our tracks on our ski out.

Ken Bélanger, topcog@xxxxxxxxx
ACMG ASG, CAA Pro
TopCog Adventures | guiding & adventure travel