[MCR] Black Prince Trees, K-Country January 12, 2014

Subject: [MCR] Black Prince Trees, K-Country January 12, 2014
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 20:01:45 -0700

We had a great day of skiing today at Black Prince Trees in K-Country.  40cm of storm snow made for excellent skiing.  There were some strong wind gusts, moving lots of snow around.

In a snow profile at 2300m on a SE aspect there was 110cm of snow.  The storm interface that is down 40cm was bonding well in the area we skied, which had well supported moderate slope angles and open trees.  There was an easy and clean shear (sudden planar) down 60cm that would be concerning if you ventured onto steeper or open unsupported slopes.

Another ACMG mountain guide skiing the same area reported whumphs with his group, but we did not have any.  I also heard a second hand report of a low elevation skier triggered size 1 avalanche on a gully sidewall.

Regards,

Jordy Shepherd

ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide

logo small