[MCR] McMurdo Conditions

Subject: [MCR] McMurdo Conditions
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 22:24:58 -0700
Spent the last 5 days based out of McMurdo Hut - Spillimacheen Range, Purcell
Mountains.

Here is what we found:
Active logging on good roads to km. 43.5 and a small parking lot just before
the McMurdo bridge. Warn the haulers using VHF 153.87 radio frequency.
Expect blowdowns on the last narrow trail section (1.5kms.) up to the hut. We
had to cut out 2. Take at least a 24" bow saw for surprises.
The hut is in good shape fully equipped with utensils and pots for 5. Bring
1lb. Coleman Propane bottles for the 2 burner cook stove and lantern.
A white gas lantern is also available. BYO gas. Firewood still in good supply.
Kitchen towelling is wanting. A hungry Pine Marten circles curiously, awaiting
opportunity. He has a taste for tent vestibule zipper pulls and down booties.
No telling what he will devour if he gets inside the hut. Check your windows
before
heading out for the day.

Between Jan. 10 and today (14th) we received 50 cms. storm snow with temps
between -6.5 and -1.5. Due to the new load, warm temps and strong
ridgetop winds we skied mainly gladed E. aspects only to treeline. Ski pen
ranged between 45 and 25 cms. This mid-pm we at last had good views to ridgetop
on these aspects
and were surprised to see no recent avalanche activity, but lots of scouring on
windswept high ground. A Rutschblock test at 2000m. on 35 degr. slope scored 6
at 185 cms. down.
This surprising result we called a resistant planar as the failure plane only
appeared. The block did not slide out. The failure plane was decomposing
surface hoar 1.5 - 2mm. Dec. 8th layer suspected.
Snowpack of 220 cm. here. Mid pack showing mainly 1 finger hardness.

Skiing very good quality.

Enjoy!

Murray Toft
MG