[MCR] Maligne lake Jasper area

Subject: [MCR] Maligne lake Jasper area
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:31:54 -0700
I went for a ski yesterday in the Maligne area to re-acquaint myself with the shallow Rockies snowpack.

Overall travel was pretty good below treeline and very good in the alpine due to the hard slabs in all open terrain. The depth of the snowpack at and above treeline ranged from about 60cm to 120cm.

It certainly looked like the winds had been very strong during the last weather event. The hard slabs seen in the alpine seemed well bridged in the terrain but I would be very suspect of areas where the snowpack is shallow.

Looks like people have been skiing these hard slabs and there are tracks leading to some steeper terrain features. The potential for large slabs triggered from afar will be something to consider as the snow has variable distribution from this last wind event.

Also noted a slab to ground on a big slide path across from the Watchtower trail head. This large path last ran in 1989 taking large trees out the whole way down. The slab I saw was fresh in the last few days, and ran on a steep solar face amongst rocky slabs. It was a small size 2. Though not really big it shows that the weakness is prevalent on all aspects.

The skiing was not bad below treeline, tried to find some cruiser lines to keep the tips up.
I avoided getting near any avalanche terrain and watched what was above me.

The present snow surface will be easy to identify once it is buried as it will be the one that has pine needles, branches or cones all over it from treeline and down.

Peter Amann
Mountain Guide

pamann@xxxxxxxxxxxx