[MCR] Cascade Falls

Subject: [MCR] Cascade Falls
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 18:06:19 -0700
It’s been 10 days since Larry’s last MCR of Cascade Fall so I thought I would update everyone on conditions.

I guided an early morning ascent of Cascade Falls today January 21st.

Temperatures were –5c at the trailhead at 0600 and not a breath of wind.

The ice has suffered over the past week as a result of the warm temperatures and direct midday sun.  There is a thick layer of “snice” – a mixture of snow and ice – blanketing the route on the upper pitches. So, lots of cleaning required to get down to good ice for protection.  The lip where the route narrows is still sporty and there is potential to punch a leg (or more) through the “straw” and into the falls itself.  I recommend careful tiptoeing around this area if you’re up there. We walked on firm snow and old avalanche debris between the lower pitches – the same debris that Larry mentioned in his post. We made two 60m rappels and walked off skiers right, through mostly faceted snow and thin windslabs.

Our strategy today was to get off this climb early.  The morning sun was quite strong, and it felt like spring up there. We were back at the car at noon.

upper pitches
IMG_3518

sunrise
IMG_3491