[MCR] Rogers Pass Jan. 15-21/2014

Subject: [MCR] Rogers Pass Jan. 15-21/2014
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 19:39:46 -0800

Just back from another great day in Roger Pass area.

Weather – high and dry with lots of solar over the last few days – today saw overcast skies that produced some timely breaks in the afternoon – sadly no snowflakes L.

Snowpack – Storm instabilities/windslabs appear to have tightened up since last week’s storm cycle. Suncrust on Southerly aspects – we managed a crust free decent on a westerly aspect today – but if it tipped the wrong way – look out! Otherwise the softest snow appears to be in sheltered Treeline terrain below 1800m.

In the Alpine it varies dramatically from sastrugi in exposed terrain, to creamy settled snow with 10 -20cm ski penetration, where it was more sheltered from the storm winds. There is widespread surface hoar formation below 1800m. with feathery crystals up to 10mm. This sits on a raincrust below 1200m. Above 1800 the surface is more sugary (facetted). Going to get interesting eventually!

Avalanche concerns – The snowpack was nonreactive to tests and ski cuts, so my focus was on overhead hazards, such as the new cornices that developed during our recent wind/snow events, as well as any steep alpine features that were in the sun. The other interesting observation has to do with the character of the terrain where a lot of the recent larger slabs occurred (both natural and explosive controlled) – namely that it was shallow windward or crosswinded terrain ( MacDonald West Shoulder, Mt. Sir Donald, Mt. Bonney, etc.). Something to keep in mind as you approach your next Alpine objective – look for the fat snow.

Travel – On my trip up Grizzly shoulder enroute to Little Sifton and the Hermit – I chose to bring my ski crampons along anticipating some steep icy corners – I wasn’t disappointed and glad to have the added traction J! Otherwise ski penetration is 10-20cms deep making for fast travel.

Enjoy the great skiing,

Cheers,

Scott Davis

ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide