[MCR] Monashee Range, Revelstoke

Subject: [MCR] Monashee Range, Revelstoke
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 21:04:52 -0800
we were ski touring South of revelstoke today on East aspects up to 2100m

new snow amounts were 5cm to 10cm, elevation dependant, sitting over a well
settled snowpack.  a crust below the new snow - most likely from warm temps as
we found it in shaded as well as sunny areas, was present up to 1300m.  it
carried human travel well in the open areas, but not so well in the trees at
lower elevations.

small windslabs up to 20cm thick have formed in immediate lee features at
treeline & in some open areas below treeline. these were easy to trigger with
ski traffic, but didn’t pose much of a hazard at the time we were there.
sloughing was encountered on any terrain over 35 deg, and was gathering some
mass & travelling far.  we found this occurring in both constrained features
(gullys etc.) as well as steep trees.

enjoy your turns!

dave healey
acmg ski guide