[MCR] ACMG Mountain Conditions Report Summary for the Rockies and Columb

Subject: [MCR] ACMG Mountain Conditions Report Summary for the Rockies and Columbia Mountains issued September 24th, 2014
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:23:16 -0400 (EDT)

ACMG Mountain Conditions Report Summary for the Rockies and Columbia Mountains issued September 24th, 2014

It is currently a warm and wet world in most of the summary region. High freezing levels and various amounts of rain. For the weekend it is hard to say exactly what this will mean but I expect my next two days(thursday/friday) will be slippery and soggy.

If the weekend forecast is correct and we get a good overnight freeze there could be some decent glacier travel and alpine snow and ice climbing. Glacier snow cover is still pretty thin. A few little cornices had formed in the last storm so if the alpine looks white, these cornices will have probably gotten even bigger without getting stronger.

The rock will take some time to dry out. The alpine has had a fair bit of moisture recently so if we get a REAL sustained freeze sometime soon it could be "Runnel World"!!

It is the time of year when some Parks are pulling bridges out so do check if your trip involves a critical bridge.

Larches are out and there are some "shocking" crowds and traffic issues in the classic viewing places. Avoid the road rage and go somewhere obscure if you can.

Larry Stanier
ACMG Mountain Guide

These observations and opinions are those of the person who submitted them. The ACMG and its members take no responsibility for errors, omissions, or lapses in continuity. Conditions differ greatly over time and space due to the variable nature of mountain weather and terrain. Application of this information provides no guarantee of increased safety. Do not use the Mountain Conditions Report as the sole factor in planning trips or making decisions in the field. Please check out http://acmg.ca/mcr for more information.