[MCR] Rockies-My owen and Duchesnay from Float Creek August 8-11th, 2015

Subject: [MCR] Rockies-My owen and Duchesnay from Float Creek August 8-11th, 2015
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 19:28:27 -0600 (MDT)
Nice 4 day trip starting up the Ottertail. There is currently a decent river
crossing for Mt Vaux on a log between the outlet of Haskins Creek and the 5km
switchback on the Ottertail fireroad. We chose not to go to Mt Vaux(the Plan A)
as our 2nd day journey up Float Creek to O'Hara looked burly. And it was.

It took us most of a day to get 1/2 way up Float creek on the left bank and it
sucked. However, after a nice camp where the contours flatten out we made nice,
easy time to a beautiful camp just below the head of Float creek and climbed Mt
Duchesnay from there in the afternoon. It is an excellent-non-technical
scramble from the pass-well worth doing. Next day we climbed Mt. Owen via the
North ridge-east face, again from the Float creek pass. Glacier was a little
dry(what a surprise:) but still passable and safe in current conditions.

We walked out today to O'Hara over Odaray pass. Upper Float creek and McCarthur
creek is a beautiful, very wild feeling place. No signs of human activity and
even the summit registers and cairns were mostly taken down(lightning?). Go
there but do keep it wild. It is a special place.

Larry Stanier
ACMG Mountain Guide
laristan@xxxxxxxxx