[MCR] Rockies: Commonweatlth Creek / Spray Lakes

Subject: [MCR] Rockies: Commonweatlth Creek / Spray Lakes
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 23:06:35 -0700

A busy “picture book” day in Commonwealth Creek today with  a spring-like temperature spread from -18C when departing around 8.30 AM to +2C upon returning to the car around 3.30 PM. We did what I believe is called the “Little Commonwealth” or “Pig’s Back” Traverse on the northern aspect of the drainage which was travelled relatively lightly today. However a lot of traffic on the “Superslope” and the next avalanche path to the west (i.e. the southern aspect west of the Tryst Lake ridge). Judging from the looks of the tracks the snow must have still been pretty good on the southern aspect today. The other big avalanche paths further west (upstream) remained pretty much untouched which was probably a good idea given recent wind loading at ridgeline and the warm temps.

Generally good “boot top” powder skiing on northerly aspects. Recent avalanche activity was limited to solar triggered sluffs in rocky terrain or point releases except on the drive from Canmore we saw several large fracture lines in steep, rocky easterly  terrain in the Goat Range. North-Westerly winds picked up around noon with intense wind transport limited to ridge line. We also noticed large cornices threatening some of the “money lines”  in the area and I can’t help but noticing that it’s often the days with the large temperature spreads that bring them down…..

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Jorg Wilz

Mountain Guide ACMG / VDBS / IFMGA

OnTop ltd.