[MCR] Wapta Icefield: Bow Lake To Peyto Lake

Subject: [MCR] Wapta Icefield: Bow Lake To Peyto Lake
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 01:24:33 -0600
Hi Everyone:
We did the three day traverse from Bow Lake to Peyto Lake this last weekend.
Like everywhere else, the glaciers are taking a beating this summer with
warm temps and lack of overnight refreezes. Up to 10cm of recent moist snow
made matters worse for glacier travel, disguising crevasses and reducing
bridging strength of what little residual snowpack is remaining above 2500
meters. One of our rope team members ended up falling in a crevasse on the
way to Mt. Rhonda (South) and thanks to a tight rope injuries were avoided
as crevasses there tend to be narrow and shallow. We aborted the ascent of
Mt. Rhonda and went to (non-glaciated) Mt. Thompson instead.

The descend to Peyto Lookout has certainly become a lot more adventurous and
time-consuming since the bridge was washed out 3 years ago. Crossing
Cauldron Creek was easily negotiated on a braided section at a spot that was
convenient for the further descent. We found "Jordy's Log" (one of the two
logs that used to form the bridge - now lodged close to the northern edge of
the drainage between two large rocks) but there are currently two
additional, at least knee deep and fast flowing braids of Peyto Creek that
need to be additionally crossed in order to reach the old hiking trail south
of the creek. We decided to continue the steep side hilling north of Peyto
Creek all the way to the shore of Peyto Lake. We then waded through about 10
braids of Peyto Creek in up to knee deep water (see image) in order to reach
the trail back up to Peyto Lake Lookout. Sandals or Croques come in handy.
Mind you, your feet are so numb from the cold water that you barely feel the
pointy rocks.......

Thanks to the good soul, who has put a good bit of work into the new trail
north of the creek! Sure would be nice to have the bridge back in place,
though!

Cheers,

Jorg Wilz
Mountain Guide (ACMG / VDBS / IFMGA)